What is this Crisis Text Line?
This provides free support at your fingertips, 24/7. It is a free, confidential service available via text on mobile devices. It is intended to broaden the options available through current community crisis hotlines. Crisis Text Line’s goal is to move people from a hot moment to a cool calm. Crisis Text Link is there anytime, day or night, to help those in need. An individual may text the keyword 4HOPE to 741741 and expect a reply from a trained volunteer crisis counselor within five minutes. The message is confidential, anonymous, and secure.
A unique and very important feature of Crisis Text Line is the active rescue. When a texter is deemed to be in immediate danger to themselves, at that moment the trained counselor will engage in an active rescue. When this is triggered, the counselor connects with and dispatches emergency services to the texter in order to save them from self-harm. As of February 2023, there has been 637 suicidal de-escalations and 338 active rescues in Ohio. This means 338 lives have been saved in the state by this service.
Ohio: By the Numbers
- As of February 2023, there were 52.8K conversations with 24.8K of them are texters.
- The most common reasons: anxiety/stress (36%), depression (31%), relationship (31%), school (28%), and suicide (23%).
Crisis Text Line Data
- Texters in Ohio talk about substance abuse the most on Saturday and Sunday; between 3:00am-5:00am, and at 1:00pm.
- Ohioans texting about eating disorders also text about stress, depression, and family issues.
- Wednesdays at 5:00pm are the worst for bullying in Ohio.